Dissertation Experiments - Day 1

A Journal of my Dissertation

Today I am beginning the experiments for my dissertation. The idea is based on the PPE production the APSU GIS Center did in the spring. In my experiments, I will be attempting to optimize my printer settings to maximize the output of shields, keep the costs low, and retain quality. This is turning into an interesting problem because I have 3 different 3D printers. I own an Artillery Sidewinder X1, Creality Ender 3, and a Creality CR6 SE. For the most part, I can match printer settings and have set them up appropriately.

To facilitate the project, I have also set up OctoPrint on each individual printer. With OctoPrint, I can keep track of all the vital statistics from the print including filament used and print time. I am also able to remotely monitor (and cancel) the prints. Additionally, I am doing time lapse on each print. I am hoping to post to YouTube.

As noted in the picture above, I am using Hatchbox Orange PLA. I initially started with black PLA, the best selling PLA on Amazon, but quickly noticed the black blended too much with the printer beds and made remote monitoring difficult. I settled on Hatchbox Orange (#5 Selling on Amazon) because it offered great contrast.

I am expecting to do at least 160 prints of PPE headbands over the course of my experiments. I believe that I can get 30 bands per roll of filament. Unfortunately, I started to add a brim to the prints to better adhere to the printer beds. As of now, I am starting my benchmark prints. These are the prints with the most detailed, costly, and time consuming settings. I will do 10 from each printer to be an index for quality. As the experiments continue, I may try to buy another printer to speed the process.

I will try to post some pictures and videos as the project progresses.

Michael J. Wilson
Michael J. Wilson
Specializing in “What Not to Do” since 1972

My interests include GIS, Machine Learning, Programming, and Productivity.

Related