Building a Filament Dry Box
I recently posted about drying filament with a food dehydrator. I am typically printing a couple of models a week and I tend to keep using a roll of filament for a while. I do not want to constantly be loading and unloading filament in-between prints to reduce moisture exposure. Once I have the filament dry, I needed a method to keep it dry as I am printing. To achieve this, I have started making my own dry boxes.
Here is the models and steps I used to build my own boxes:
- Filament Drybox for Wildone Food Storage Container 4L
- Dry-box Filament Pass-Through
- PTFE Tube cap with filament catch
- Hydrometer Stand fro WildOne Food Storage Container
- 50 PCS 608-2RS Skateboard Bearing, 8x22x7, Sealed
- ExcelFu 20 Pack PC4-M10 Male Straight Pneumatic PTFE Tube Push in Quick Fitting Connector for E3D-V6 Long-Distance Bowden Extruder 3D Printer
- 5 Gram Pack of 50 “Dry & Dry” Premium Pure & Safe Silica Gel Packets Desiccant Dehumidifiers - Food Safe Rechargeable Paper
- Food Storage Containers Set - Wildone Cereal & Dry Food Storage Containers [Set of 4] with Khaki Lid for Flour, Sugar & Baking Supplies, Leak-proof & BPA Free
- PTFE Tubing(https://amzn.to/3xk8OpE)
- Mini Hygrometer Thermometer Digital Indoor Humidity Gauge Monitor with Temperature Meter Sensor Fahrenheit (℉) 6 Pack
- Print the various models
- Assemble the printed parts for the Filament Drybox for Wildone Food Storage Container 4L
- I use a hair dryer to warm the PLA so I can place the bearings
- Insert the PC4-M10 Male Straight Pneumatic PTFE Tube Push in Quick Fitting Connector into each Pass-Through.
- I use a 3/4 inch drill bit to drill holes for the pass throughs in the top and side of the Wildone Container
- I do holes in both the top and side so the I can run filament either way. The Pass-Through has a solid cap so the I can close the pass through I am not using.
- Place PTFE Tubing(https://amzn.to/3xk8OpE) into the Pass-Through you are going to use.
- Put the filament, the Mini Hygrometer, and the Silica Gel Packets into the container.
- The box is now ready for use. I print right from the boxes.
Link used are Amazon affiliate program links